Thursday, February 26

Thrift Store Refashion: Skater Skirt


                                         
My friend and I were thrift shopping when we found this really fun printed skirt. Unfortunately, it was really long and old fashioned. My friend loved the fabric so much that I told her to get it and I could make it into a cute short skirt. It's the perfect skirt for springtime, if only the weathermen would quit predicting snow.

The original skirt: 


I laid the skirt out and noticed that it wasn't a straight skirt. The easiest way to make this into a short skirt would be to just cut the skirt at the length I wanted and re-hem it, but I wanted the skirt to flare more so I decided to cut from the bottom.



Taking a yard stick, I measured up 20 inches from the hem (I added a couple inches to the length I wanted to leave room for the elastic). I took my yard stick along the bottom hem as I was cutting to cut straight with the curve of the skirt.

This is what I will make the skirt out of.

Lastly, I pinned and sewed a slit for the elastic then fed the elastic through.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment