Tuesday, February 3

Thrift Store Refashion: Dress to Skirt

                                               
      
                                                   

This thrift store refashion started with this dress. I saw it in the thrift store with the tags still on it and it was only $5!! I excitedly bought the dress without trying it on. The only thing wrong with it was that the zipper was broken, but that's an easy fix. Upon getting home and trying the dress on, I discovered that it was too short for my long 5'9" frame. I really loved the dress though and it sat in my to do pile for a couple months while I decided what to do with it. Eventually, I came up with the idea to separate the top and bottom and turn the dress into a skirt. This idea would preserve the lace edging around the bottom that I loved so much.

The top that I would cut off:

                       
The lace edging that I love:


First, I went in with my seam ripper. I used a seam ripper instead of just cutting the dress across because then I could preserve the already finished edges and also I wouldn't have to worry about my cutting being straight. I ripped the seam that was between the top part of the dress and the middle section. I ripped out the broken zipper as well. I decided to leave the middle section to act as a band around the top of the skirt. I also left the strips of fabric that you could tie in the back to make a bow.  

                               

This is what the skit looked like without the top:


Next, I pinned the inside and outside of the band of the skirt together to sew and finish the seam. The fabric was already iron down towards the inside so all I had to do was pin the inside and outside together. I used a long stitch to sew them together.

                            

Lastly, I pinned and sewed in a new zipper.

                            





No comments:

Post a Comment