Tuesday, February 10

Valentine's Day Project: Heart Elbow Patches

For Valentine's Day, I wanted to find a really cute DIY. I searched high and low on Pinterest for the perfect thing to make. The first thing I found that I was going to recreate was tights with hearts painted on them, but my friend and I had attempted this DIY around Halloween (she was going to be the Queen of Hearts) and couldn't really figure out a good way to let the tights dry without messing up the hearts. Then I remembered that elbow patches were on my DIY To Do list, so why not do heart shaped ones for Valentine's Day.

Supplies:
Cardigan or Sweater
1/8 yd of fabric (I used red, but you can choose any color you like)
Embroidery floss (the same color as your fabric)
A piece of paper
Interfacing
Sewing needle
Sewing pins
Sewing scissors

1. I started with this sweater. It's cream colored with red polka dots. I looked at a couple thrift shops trying to find a black or gray plain cardigan, but I couldn't find. Then I remembered I had this cardigan in my closet that I hadn't worn I a while and I could spice it up a bit.


2. I put the cardigan on and marked a little pot with permanent marker at the center of my elbow so I could place the hearts later on.
                            


3. Next, I searched Google images for a heart outline and printed it out about the same size as my hand. You could also draw a heart, but my drawing skills aren't that great so I stuck with printing it out. I pinned the outline on the red fabric and cut out two hearts.
                               



4. Then I ironed interfacing on the back of the two hearts to make them a little sturdier.


5. The next part is going to be to pin and sew the hearts onto the elbows of the sweater. I had this tube from when I ordered a poster online so I stuffed it into the sleeve so the sleeve would hold the form of an arm.
                               
Pin the hearts to the sleeves using the marks you made as a guideline for the center.


                                
Use embroidery floss to hand stitch the hearts on.




All done!! Now, I just have to wait until Valentine's Day to wear my beautiful sweater.
                                




2 comments: