Tuesday, February 24

Thrift Store Refashion: Bustier Top

                             
You may remember this top from the top of the dress I thrifted and turned into a skirt. My friend was looking through my blog and saw the original dress and asked if I still had the top to the dress. She said she really liked it and gave my the idea to turn it into a bustier type top. So after a little creativity and brainstorming, I ended with this wonderful summer top.


This is the original top of the dress:

                     


The first thing I did was take off the frills. I thought that they were childish and distracting on the top.

                                


Next, since I took the midsection for my skirt, the top was left a little short. I went to the fabric store and found this beautiful cotton print with pink figures in it. The fabric was in the quilting section so I bought a fat quarter.
I measured along the bottom of the top to get the length of my fabric. I made if about 6 inches wide because I am going to fold it in half. I cut 2 rectangles.

I pinned and sewed one side of the rectangles together. The other side was left open for the zipper.

I ironed the strip of fabric in half.

Then I pinned the fabric to the bottom of the top and sewed.

Lastly, I put in a zipper. I choose a hot pink zipper to match the pink figures in the print.

Hope you enjoyed this thrift store refashion and happy DIYing!

No comments:

Post a Comment