Thursday, December 11

Brief Tutorial: How I Made My Peplum Jumpsuit

                                 
    
This peplum jumpsuit was a speedy and last minute project so I didn't have enough time to document all my steps but I have a brief description.

I used these two patterns. The pants pattern is an older one, but it worked really well for this project because I needed the pants on the jumpsuit to have a higher waist. With the second pattern, I needed a pattern with princess seams. 

                                  

                                  

I made the pants according to their instructions, while leaving the back open for a zipper. For the top I also made it according to the instructions, but first if you have a princess seam bodice pattern that is short, like mine, you are going to need to extend it. To make it longer, just measure how long you want your bodice to be then mark it one the fabric. Take a ruler and mark a straight line from the existing pattern piece. Once the bodice is all sewn together, it may require additional fitting. 

For the peplum, I used the same technique as the circle skirt, but made it a lot shorter. You can find my circle skirt tutorial here. I also made sure to leave a slit in the peplum for the zipper.

Take the three pieces you have made, the bodice, pants, and peplum. Pin all three together with the bodice and peplum, right sides together and the pants' right side facing the peplum's wrong side. after you get it stitched together, all that's left is putting in the zipper.

Sorry for the short tutorial, but I hope you enjoyed it and it gave you ideas about how to combine patterns to create your own design.



No comments:

Post a Comment