Monday, November 10

DIY Mittens and Beanie from Sweater

     Sweater weather is officially here! Yay!!!!! In honor of sweater weather, I decided to do a couple sweater DIYs this week. The sweaters I'm using are ones that I got from the thrift shop.
     So for my first sweater DIY, I made a beanie and mittens. I remember seeing this somewhere on Pinterest and decided to try it out. It turned out so cute and now all of my friends are asking for them. Hope you enjoy this DIY, it was one of my favorites yet.

     
     


Supplies:
Sweater
Sewing pins
Paper
Scissors
Measuring tape
Sewing machine

1. First, you're going to need a sweater. I got this one from a thift shop. Preferably the sweater should have some kind of band around the bottom. That makes it stay around your head easier for the beanie and the cuff on the bottom of the mittens.

     

2. We will start with the beanie. Measure around your head to see how big you need to make your beanie. Divide this measurement in half and that will be the length along the bottom of your pattern. For the pattern, I cut out an extended dome shape.

                         

3. Next, I folded the sweater in half like this because the back did not have the textured ribbing like the front and I wanted that to be all around my beanie. Place one side of the pattern along the fold and pin it.

     
      

4. After you cut it out, it should, look like this. Fold the right sides together and pin it. Sew. 
Note: you may need to serve or zig-zag stitch after in sew depending on if your sweater is fraying or not.

      

                                    

5. Now on to the mittens. First, trace your hand on a piece of paper in a mitten shape. Leave room for the seam when you are tracing your hand.

                                   
 
                            

6. Cut out the pattern and place it on the sweater, making sure that the cuff lines up with the bottom of the pattern. Cut out 4 pieces. I used the back of the sweater for the mittens because it did not have any texture.

      

7. Pin the mittens, right sides together and sew.

       
    
All done! Hope these mittens and beanie help you look cute and stay warm at the same time! :)




   
   


No comments:

Post a Comment