Wednesday, April 22

Aladdin Costumes: Iago the Parrot

       
                              
This Iago costume was probably one of my favorite of the whole show. This was one of the costumes I got to have a little fun with and use my imagination. Our production's Iago was casted as a girl so I decided to create a little parrot dress for her. I was inspired by this children's I found on Pinterest.

                                   
     
I recreated the bustle and found the perfect little red dress. A few feathers later, it was complete!

                           
                           
                           

For Iago's makeup, we started with a normal stage makeup foundation base and translucent powder. For the eyes, first put down an eye primer then start with red eyeshadow in the inner corner and make a rainbow as you go across the eyelid. When we got the outer part of the eyelid, we feathered the eyeshadow to look like the feathers on a parrot. We lined the eyes with black eyeliner and made the wing go all the way out to the end of the eyeshadow. Lastly, we added red and gold jewels around the eyes and completed the look with red lipstick.

                           

                                  

To make the bustle tail, I got four different colors of tulle, measuring four different lengths.
Blue tulle- 1/4 yard
Yellow tulle- 1/2 yard
Green tulle- 3/4 yard
Red tulle- 1 yard

I stacked the layers of tulle on top of each other with the shortest on top.


I then sewed them together using a zig-zag stitch and then put my sewing machine of the longest stitch setting to sew a stitch for gathering.


I found this red dress at Plato's closet and thought it would be the perfect dress for Iago and would look great with a bustle.


Gathering the bustle, I then pinned it and hand-stitched it to the dress while it was still on the mannequin so the dress would hold its form.


Fluff the tulle a bit to get the perfect look. If you want the dress to look more like a parrot, you can add feathers along the shoulders and top of the bustle. I used hot glue to attach the feathers.


I created this headband using a red headband I bought at the dollar store and feathers and a jewel I found at the craft store.




No comments:

Post a Comment