Friday, March 6

DIY Tulle Skirt Tutorial

                              
                                      

As my friend and I were wondering though the mall, we came across the store Windsor. In the display window outside the store, the mannequins were wearing the cutest tulle skirts with crop tops and sweaters. Going into the store, my friend and I were super excited to find a multitude of colors. I really wanted a tulle skirt but I was confused as to where I would wear such a dramatic piece. My friend on the other hand, had been wanting one every since she saw The Carrie Diaries. After a debate, I decided that I could try and recreate one of these tulle skirts for her.

Carrie Diaries Inspiration:

Windsor Tulle Skirt
Light Blue Tulle Midi Skirt


I looked up many tutorials on how to make tulle skirts and some used the circle skirt method while others just worked with gathers. I have had experience with gathering tulle from making tutus and knew it was a pain and a lot of tulle. On the other hand, I didn't know if a circle skirt would create the shape I wanted. In the end, I decided to combine both methods to create less hassle for myself with the tulle and still get the correct shape.


Supplies:
5-8 yards of tulle depending on how big you want your skirt to be (I used white shiny tulle to give the skirt a little pizazz)
1.5 yards of a fabric to go underneath, usually the same color as the tulle
Zipper
Sewing pins
Sewing machine
Cutting board or flat surface to cut on
2 poster board papers


1. Create a pattern for your circle skirt because you cannot draw very effectively on the tulle. Depending on how big your poster board is (I just bought some from Kmart) you may want to use one or two. I taped two together to make a big enough paper for the pattern of the skirt. Check out my tutorial here on how to make a circle skirt. When I was making the pattern, I first made a pattern piece that would fit my waist for the fabric underneath. When making a pattern for the tulle pieces, I made the waist bigger so I would have to gather it to fit my friend's waist.

2. Cut one piece of the fabric that is going to be underneath everything and 3-4 pieces of tulle.

3. Gather each piece of tulle individual to add more volume to your shirt.

4. Once all the tulle is gathered, stay-stitch all the fabric together so it's easier to manage.

5. Cut a rectangle of fabric to use as a band along the top. Double the width because it will be folded over. Iron the rectangle in half and iron down 1/2 inch seams down the edges. (I forgot to take a picture of this step so I borrowed a picture from my circle skirt tutorial).

6. Fold the rectangle over the top of the skirt and sew it together. 

7. Cut a slit in the fabric along the back and put the zipper in.

8. Hem the underneath fabric.

All done! Hope you enjoyed this tutorial.

                                    
Pictures taken by Caity Martin at the Nelson-Atkins Museum. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment